DeForest Area Progressives, August 12, 2013, John's Notes
There were five DeForest area progressives present.
Karen thanked all those who helped her move this past week.
We took a picture to forward to Beth Whittemore, Oregon Area Progressives, to include with materials at the Progressive Partners' table at Bob Fest next month. Consensus agreed to contribute $10 toward costs for the table. John Ski will take care of it from the DAP treasury.
JohnSki made several announcements:
- Dane County Executive Joe Parisi and DeForest's County Board Supervisor, Maureen McCarville, will hold a listening session at the DeForest Library on September 5th. The subject is the 2014 DaneCounty budget. All DAP members are encouraged to attend and participate and bring friends.
- Middleton Action Team is co-hosting "Organizing for Climate Change Action" at the Monastery, 4200 County Road M tomorrow, August 13th, 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. and requests assistance with costs, which they estimate at $300. The group consensus was that we should contribute $25. JohnSki will take care of it from the DAP treasury. The presentation includes a showing of the documentary film, "Do the Math."
- The Dane County Democratic Party 's regular monthly meeting this month will feature Madison Mayor Paul Soglin as speaker. It is August 14th, 7:00 p.m. at the Concourse Hotel in Madison.
- The Columbia County Democrats informed DAP that they met on August 8th to discuss strategy for 2013-14 and to hear reports. Also, they introduced George Ferriter, who is running against Keith Ripp for the Assembly District 42 seat. The Columbia County Dems are building a network to help Mr. Ferriter, and they hope that we DAP-ers will join in. More on this at future meetings.
- The Columbia County Dems (Margo Miller) are also promoting "JFK - An American Profile," a one-man play Saturday, September 7th, at 7:00 p.m. at Northwoods Banquet Hall, N6510 U.S. Hwy 51, Portage. Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the door ($5 students). Tables are available for $100 (8 people at a table with recognition in the program). Tickets can be purchased on line at https://secure.actblue.com/page/jfkevening. Mary Arnold has informed us that she is taking a table for Columbus Democrats. Should we do a table for DAP?
We discussed the Doug Cunningham radio show and the financial trouble it seems to be in. Consensus was that we should contribute $50, and JohnSki volunteered to do that from the DAP treasury. We should be encouraging everyone we know to listen to Doug's program, call in, call the station (The Mic), and encourage businesses to advertise on the show. Doug broadcasts 5:00-6:00 p.m. every day during drive time, so it is a good time to advertise. Contact Tim Scott at Clear Channel to advertise.