Here is the report for the March 21 Active McFarland Political Café. We will not be holding a café on March 28. That is the day of the Wisconsin Grassroots Festival, which we encourage everyone to attend. We look forward to seeing you at the next café at the McFarland House Café on April 4.
Present at the March 21 café: Ron Berger, Jean Blackmore, Monica Bolle, Jerry Collins, Bob & Julie Crego, Karen Edson, Patrick Miles, Jessie Naze, Sharon Payne, Mariah Rogers, Ron & Joanne Ruzicka, Dawn & Art Shegonee, Madison & Mathew Whitting, Clair Utter
For the most part, the café consisted of an update and discussion of various Active McFarland activities. These include:
1) Wisconsin Grassroots Festival: Active McFarland will share a table with other grassroots groups at the Festival, with Jerry Collins being our representative at the table. Dawn & Art Shegonee will be sponsoring a break-out session on the “New People’s Emerging” movement. Bob Crego will be there to represent the Wisconsin Grassroots Network.
2) Mariah Rogers and Madison Whitting will be contacting Ann Kleinhaus to collaborate with her on her environmental podcast project with McFarland intermediate school children.
3) Vel Phillips event: Ron & Joanne Ruzicka, Jean & Denny Blackmore, and Ron Berger are moving forward with plans to organize an April 30 evening event at the United Church of Christ in McFarland, which will feature a showing of a PBS documentary on Vel Phillips to be followed by a panel discussion on race relations in the U.S.
4) Bradley campaign: Jerry purchased yard signs for the Bradley campaign that he distributed. Also, below are dates and times for the Hwy 51 sign brigade in front of Walgreen’s, with a list of those who have currently signed-up. Sharon Payne has prepared 7 signs and we will need a minimum of 5 people per sign brigade to make this a success. Below is a sign-up genius where you can sign up, or just show up when you can make. We are far short of our goal for most days and are sure we will need you!
Tues Mar. 24, 3:30-5:30 PM: Ron Berger, Monica Macarra, Sharon Payne
Thurs Mar. 26, 3:30-5:30 PM: Jean & Denny Blackmore, Joanne Ruzicka, Art Shegonee
Tues Mar. 31, 3:30-5:30 PM: Ron Berger, Jean & Denny Blackmore, Sharon Payne
Thurs Apr. 2, 3:30-5:30 PM: Ron Berger, Jean & Denny Blackmore, Ann Lynch-Oasen, Sharon Payne
Sat Apr. 4, 2:00-4:00 PM: Ron Berger, Jean & Denny Blackmore, Sharon Payne
Mon Apr. 6, 3:30-5:00 PM: Jean & Denny Blackmore, Sharon Payne
5) Patrick Miles of the Dane County Board of Supervisors gave us an update on the ongoing controversy about insurance requirements for the Enbridge pipeline in Wisconsin.
6) Clair Utter would like to meet with those interested in discussing local Village issues, particularly plans for the Veredian development to the east side of the Village. Clair can be reached at email@example.com
Active McFarland: Exercising Democracy
Website: www.activemcfarland.org or
A Grass Roots Organization made up of people from the McFarland area promoting democracy at all levels of Government