Share the songs—and the calls for justice—by convening your own Town Square Sing Along in your own community as part of the Statewide Town Square Sing Along 500, at noon on Saturday November 3, 2012.
To hold a sing along, gather up some fellow citizens and try this:
- Pick a great, safe spot in your town where you’ll draw public attention, ideally the center of the town square.
- Find at least nine friends to sing with you (900 would be even better.) Musical instruments are encouraged! Have a look at Arlo joining us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eytdYyO6Aeg
- Visit the Wisconsin Network for Peace and Justice website, where you’ll find 24 familiar songs, many with Wisconsin-adjusted lyrics. Copy the pages and distribute widely! http://www.wnpj.org/sites/default/files/pdf/WNPJ-labor-songbook_24songs.pdf
- At high noon, Saturday November 3, start by singing This Land is Your Land--Wisconsin Version. Sing whatever moves you for a while (we recommend including We Shall Overcome) and end with Solidarity Forever! (to the Tune of the Battle Hymn of the Republic.)
- If possible, have someone videotape your sing along, and send it to us later that day. We’ll send you a special “Dropbox” account address that day. Within 24 hours, we will create a video quilt with videos from around the state to be shared at the big 500th Solidarity Sing Along party in Madison on November 5. You’re invited to that, too!
Questions? Contact Jonathan & Sally, at [email protected] to let us know your community will be participating.
And post on the new Facebook page (and if you haven’t joined, give it a try):
That’s where you can share ideas, photos, videos, and communicate about the Sing Along. Just remember, it’s a public site at least for now. See you at noon on November 3 at the Town Square!
“The easiest way to avoid wrong notes is to never open your mouth and sing. What a mistake that would be!” Pete Seeger
Place you find
Google map and directions